Friday, March 18, 2011

WORD CLOUDS: So What is it we are trying to say?

Anyone who writes knows the importance of staying on point unless of course it is merely a creative exercise in word association as an artform. I found this website that creates Word Clouds from your written material and I think a lot of people would be surprised to see the key word content of much of what they write in blogs and to letters to the editor etc.

If you go here http://www.wordle.net/ you will find a nifty place to insert your writings and configure as many words to analyse as you wish. The default is 150 words randomly displayed however I usually set the maximum to 50 words or less, formatted half vertical and horizontal to more easily identify what I am trying to get across in various documents I am wordsmithing. Try it, you will enjoy copying and pasting just about anything into it so you can see what is really being said when you look at the word content priority of written material, speeches by politicians or whatever.

Here for example is a word cloud of my recent Submission to Trust Council.


You can see that obviously the Trust was a huge aspect of what I was addressing and as the words reduce in size you can see the priority of my concerns about issues of Land Planning, Governance and taxes. The Word Cloud was another way to confirm that what I was submitting contained the proper proportion of keywords relating to the thrust of my presentation.

Anyway, I thought others might appreciate the tool (link above) as a way of refining their writings. I've posted a few more at http://www.trustchange.com/wordclouds based on a number of articles and letters I have analysed from people who have submitted their material online or in emails to me.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment